Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Disappointments, Different Experiences, Flag Day, They Love Me, They Really Love Me

Since we've been here we have only had great experiences. The food has been amazing, the people we've come in contact with have been helpful and nice, and the buildings are awesome to see.

When the Emirates Palace announced that they would be starting brunch again we were all too excited. That was a place that I had on my list of places I wanted to visit. It was where the Fast and Furious 7 was filmed and many people know about Abu Dhabi because of this place. We booked our table in advance and we waited in anticipation.



The day of the brunch arrived and we decided that we weren't going to eat until our reservation so we could enjoy everything they had to offer. As we approached the Emirates Palace my stomach began to growl and I let it know that soon and very soon it would feel so much better.






We pulled up at the Emirates Palace and we were amazed by the sight. The palace was so grand. As soon as I saw it I thought about the Fast And Furious 7 scene that was filmed there. The Security Guard asked us why we were here and we told him we were there to enjoy brunch. He told us where to go and drove slowly and in amazement. Since Mike was driving I decided to take pictures.                         






We parked and walked up to where brunch was being served. I was so ready to eat but also wanted to take in the scenery. We were greeted by the hostess and she showed us where we could sit. Our friends are expecting a baby so sitting in the sun was not an option. I'm not expecting a baby and that still wasn't an option. All of the tables with umbrellas were taken so we had to find a place that was somewhat shaded by trees by and scenery. We sat down and after a few minutes we had our drink orders taken. While we waited for the drinks I walked around to see all of the food options and I was not as impressed as I was at the Sheraton brunch. I hoped that the taste would blow me away but that too fell short of the brunch we had at Flavours at the Sheraton.

They had a nice array of fresh seafood. Crab, sushi, fish. They had a chef that would roll the sushi to order. I'm not a fan of sushi but those that had it said it was pretty good. My favorite dish was the fried prawns and fries. I know it's very simple but it was delicious.


I thought the Emirates Palace brunch would be over the top with their food selections and ambience but in my opinion it definitely fell short. It could be because it was their first brunch of the season and it was new for everyone. I just know that as far as brunches are concerned the Sheraton brunch is my favorite so far.

After we ate we enjoyed the scenery.























I also experienced my first Girl's Night Out. I had not experienced this and I was very ready for a Girl's Night. We decided on a Halloween themed party. I've never been into dressing up or even other dressing up because I'm not a fan of those in costumes where I can't see their faces. My friend whose idea it was to go said she would probably not dress up because she could not find a costume. When I arrived to her flat she was dressed up! I was shocked but it was it all good. I had no idea who she was but everyone who saw her knew what she was dressed up as. In my defense, I was not allowed to watch those movies growing up. But I digress. We got to the party and we were taken aback. None of us expected the party to be on the beach. 2 of us had on heels! Heels and sand don't mix. We took off our heels and just tried to take in the scenery. Our expectation and what we were experiencing were on different ends of the spectrum. We tried to make the best of our Girls Night Out because all of our husbands and other husbands were having a Husbands Night In. When we couldn't take it any more we headed back and got ourselves ready to hear what the guys would have to say. They laughed at us and told us we wasted good outfits. They were definitely correct about that statement.







2 disappointments and I sure hope they are the last! But life is still good and I still love the life I'm living!

I've experienced what we would we call Open House. I'm used to being in my classroom and parents coming to see the classroom. This open house was in the common area. There were desks for all of us teachers and there were chairs in front of us for parents to sit and chit chat. It was very great to see so many parents, mostly fathers, truly concerned about how their son was doing in school. I was pleased by that!


I have realized that living in America has somewhat made me wear the blinders that they put on horses. Things here are very different! We have Flag Day in America but I'm sure it is not celebrated during school. Flag Day here is huge. The boys came in dressed in UAE color hats, scarves, and almost all of them had flags in their bookbags. During school, we all had to meet in the common area to celebrate Flag Day!


                                             

At the end of a hard week, any nice gesture is always welcoming. I was sitting in class with students wrapping up our class and one of our security guards came in with flowers and cupcakes. I was so surprised. He told me it was from one my parents. At that moment, I felt great!


 

Thanks for reading! We are about 3 weeks away from Winter Break and we both are ready to see our family and friends. My BFF, Ellen DeGeneres and I, are trying to coordinate our schedules so we can have some BFF time. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Be Kind to One Another and Be Uniquely You!


No comments:

Post a Comment