Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Last Dance

The day I had been looking forward to but not looking forward to is here. Today is the day I dance for the last time with the group I've taught for the last 9 years. How do you separate from something you've been accustomed to for 9 years? These girls and their parents have become my family. Usually when I dance, I listen to the song over and over just to make sure I know all of the words, pauses, as well as go over the choreography in my head. The difference today is I couldn't do all of my normal practices because I couldn't stop crying. I got to the church and sat in my car to get myself and all of my emotions together.


We all met like we usually do and began getting ready. Some had to put on mime makeup while others just had to get dressed. As we are getting dressed someone says, " Janelle, Rob is here." I replied with, "Rob who?" They said, "Your brother, I remember what he looks like." At that moment I was like Rob didn't tell me he was coming and as soon as I made that statement Rob entered the room with his girlfriend in tow. Surprised is an understatement. At that moment, my immediate thought was my Mom would be so happy to know that we still support each other even though she's not physically here to see it.



We were all dressed and just like we always do we circled up to pray. Before we prayed I told them that I loved them and that I expect them to be continue to be great. I also told them to go all the way in when they danced and leave it all out there. The dance we were about to do was 12 and a half minutes that include outfit changes so everyone needed to be on the same page.

After we finished all of the girls hugged me multiple times and we had a photo shoot in front of the church for the final time. As I drove home, I smiled knowing that my job was done. One more chapter closed even though the ending was super emotional!

Click here to see the video and scroll down to see pictures!

Remember to "Be Uniquely You" and "Be Kind to One Another!"



 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment