Saturday, August 19, 2017

Wheels

Before we left the US we researched getting a car. We were told to rent. We were told to lease. We were told if you plan on staying for more than 1 year you should buy. We did not know what direction to go in. After being here for about 3.5 weeks we started thinking about how much money we had spent in taxi fare. The places that we needed to go to while in the hotel were too far to walk and once we got to our flat the places we could walk to did not have what we needed. So we decided to get a car. I had been reading in all of the FB groups and looking at the cars people were getting. One day while waiting in the leasing office I ran into a girl who had a car and she told me that she had a Ford Eco Sport, unlimited miles, full insurance, covered maintenance and she was paying 1500 AED, that's about 408 US Dollars. Not bad in my mind. So, we called around to see what other places were offering. Nothing was as good as what National was offering. I called National and said I'm ready to rent a Ford Eco Sport. She told me that they only had the newer Titanium Model available and it could be ready in 2 hours. This model had bluetooth, cruise control, and some other "techy" options. If you know Mike you know that this was right up his alley. I told her we'd go with this option and she told me she'd call me when it was ready. 30 minutes had past and the lady from National called me back and said your car is ready.

*****ADEC Hopefuls***** You do not have to wait to get a car. We had no idea we could get a car before all of our paperwork was processed. We thought we had to wait. I was able to rent a car with a copy of my passport, Stamped Entry VISA, and US Drivers License. She told me once I got my Emirates ID (which is still being processed), my UAE License, and my Residency VISA to email her copies. She had to hold 1000AED on a credit card for a deposit which is like 272 US Dollars and I had to pay the first month's rental fee. If we did not have a credit card we could've paid 2000AED cash for the deposit and the first month's rental. No matter which way we decided to pay the deposit it would be returned in 14 working days.

We went to pick up the car. We looked at it and had them notate any scratches. We signed the rental agreement and we were off to hit the mean streets of Abu Dhabi.

Easy as Pie!

Be Kind to one Another and Be Uniquely You!

 

1 comment: