Friday, September 29, 2017

What's been going on?

It's been a few weeks since I've posted. I'm going to try to recap everything.


School
We're going into Week 4 at school and we're pretty much in the groove. We aren't scheduled to have any days off until the end of November and beginning of December which will bring in National Day. I've heard so much about it and I am extremely excited to participate.

So, let's talk school first. I haven't been given a new schedule but I was told they are going to try to balance out the boys so classes are even so our class lists aren't set in stone which is why we haven't been given class lists.

The boys are boys. They are loud and talkative and aggressive. None of which surprises me. Some of them really want to do well and it shows in their actions. I have to started to get to see their unique personalities and some of them are hilarious.

One story I must share. Thursday, I gave a small assessment on what we had covered that week. I had a boy and his parent come to my class 3rd period, which I had class, and the parent asked me how his son was doing. I said he's doing fine in class, he just needs to remember to focus and listen. The boy laughed nervously. The Dad then said, "Did you give him test?" I said, "Yes, they actually took one today." The Dad then says, "How did he do?" Mind you it is now 3rd period Thursday and I had that boy 2nd period Thursday. So I haven't even looked at the tests because I'm in the middle of class. I said, "I haven't looked yet. I just had him last hour so I have not had time but I will definitely look." Dad says ok, boy still smiles nervously, and they go on to talk to the next teacher.

Abu Dhabi Life
BOUNCE had a night just for teachers. BOUNCE is like Defy Gravity or Sky Zone. It's nothing but a trampoline park with a few added bonuses. My friend who I've known since High School and I went together. We had an awesome time. We both love free and free food so we were in heaven. They gave us complimentary socks (back home we have to pay for them). And we were off. The first thing we did was zipline. Usually zipline and the other non trampoline activities are an extra charge but this night...they were free. We both ziplined and that was fun. Then we went to this attraction that was like bungee jumping but it only went down. You hold on to this rope and just fall I'm guess like 1-2 stories. I sat on the ledge and the guy pushed me off. I let out a scream and then I landed. It was definitely a heart pumper. We then decided to jump a little bit and it was so great being amongst other teachers and we were all just having fun. After jumping we decided to go sit for a little bit and chit chat and wait on the pizza to arrive. We talked about her life here last year, what I had been up to since high school, etc. It was really good to hang out with someone familiar in my new country. The pizza arrived and we went to eat. It was free and all you can eat. That is a teacher who has not received an actual check dream. We talked with other teachers. I met some from Charlotte and come to find out we have mutual friends. #SmallWorld
Once we were done eating we decided to do this slide that is rather steep and goes straight down. I loved it. It was sooooo much fun.


 







 


We arrived July 20. School began September 3. Before coming here we were all told to be flexible and we were told that things are probably not going to operate like they do back home. We were told to bring enough money to live off of for at least 2 months as we would only get our housing allowance stipend. People had asked about when we would get our first pay check and some said August, others said September and all said Inshallah which means God willing. We were given a pay date around mid September and once that date came and we all received our long awaited pay checks, Mike and I decided to have a small shindig at our place to celebrate. We invited some of our friends that we've made here and I cooked and tried out a few of my new recipes. It was great to have friends over and the fellowship was good too. I'm definitely missing my close friends and family but my new friends and family filled that gap quite nicely.

My friend from back home entered herself and several of her friends into a drawing for a free photo shoot which would include makeup. The photos would be taken by another teacher who happens to be a photographer on the side and the makeup would be done by a teacher who is a makeup artist on the side. It just so happened that they drew my name and I won. I'm still waiting on the pictures to be sent to me but here is a photo of my makeup. Those of you that know me, know that I don't wear makeup very often.






                                                                           ****Update**** 

I have received the pictures from the photo shoot. Check me out!





Making friends and long lasting memories is important to me. I am here on an adventure and I want to LIVE every moment. When a friend of mine who was quite anxious about driving over here asked me to be her first passenger I jumped at the chance. Driving over here is different. They drive very fast and it's nothing to get cut off. The one thing they don't do is run red lights and that's because the tickets here are issued by camera and they are quite expensive. She wanted to get a car, go to YAS Mall, and run a few other errands. I was so happy to be out of the office. On our way to YAS Island I was able to capture a wonderful picture of our tower in the distance.


We've been here for 2 months and I am truly enjoying our time here. So Be Kind to One Another and remember to Be Uniquely You! Until Next time!






No comments:

Post a Comment