Friday, March 9, 2018

Our first visitor

This post is going to be a compilation of videos and pictures! We just had our first visitor from back home! The entire week was so fun and exciting! Which one of you will be next?






You may be saying I don't recognize your visitor. Or I don't know who your visitor is. Well, let me tell you a little story.

When I was in 7th grade my English teacher had to be out for surgery which meant we would be getting a long term substitute. This substitute and I clicked and I knew I was her favorite even though she didn't say it out loud. πŸ˜€After 7th grade she and I kept in touch and I eventually asked her to be my mentor and she accepted. She brought me to her house. I met her family. She took me to a nice restaurant on the lake and at that moment I said to myself I want to be like her! Even though she didn't make it to my college graduation she sent me a card. She did however make it to my wedding and even until this day we keep in touch. Mrs. Jernberg, I call her Ms. Cook, thank you so much for believing and encouraging me. Because of you, I too am a mentor to a bright young lady!

As a teacher, we have favorite students. There will be some teachers who will swear/promise up and down that they have never had or do not have a favorite student. That teacher would be telling a lie. My 2nd year teaching there was a smart, young, girl in my honors English class. She would ask questions and she tried so very hard to do well and she did! She and I clicked instantly. I have watched this girl grow into an independent and beautiful young lady inside and out. I took her on her first plane ride, we have had so many intriguing and silly conversations, and her birthday is the day after mine. To say I love this young lady would be an understatement. Since I don't want to have kids I know that when I get old I'll be able to count on her to come see about me. When she asked me if she could spend her Spring Break with me here in Abu Dhabi I told her she didn't even have to ask! So, Tamara, my mentee is our first visitor from home.


Day 1:

Our first adventure was to Global Village. I went to Global Village before with Mike. Feel free to check that post out by clicking on the picture of Global Village below.



We walked in many of the countries just looking. We caught the stunt car show too. It was cool to see.








Day 2: 

We started this day off by going to The Dubai Mall, the tallest building IN THE WORLD, and seeing all of the must see sights in the mall. This mall is so big which makes it very overwhelming!



After being overwhelmed by the Mall, The biggest Mall IN THE WORLD that is, we got ready for our next adventure! We headed into the desert! In the desert we drove over sand dunes, rode camels, rode ATVs, got henna, played Arabic dress up, held falcons, and watched a Tanoura and Belly Dancer. This was a really fun time. Don't worry, I'd definitely do this again so when you come to visit we'll be going to the desert. (wink, wink) See all of our pictures below!








Our desert safari guide, Khan





Getting Henna




 














Day 3:

We drove back to Abu Dhabi. On the way we stopped at YAS Mall and went to Carrefour so I could do my grocery shopping for the week Yes, I'm still doing my smoothies daily. Click here for more information.


Day 4:

Tamara was on Spring Break but I wasn't. I went to work and Mike and Tamara hung out. Mike dropped me off at work so as soon as I got off we could go to our next excursion. We went to a nice spot to take photos with the Etihad Towers in the background and we went up to Observation Deck 300 in the Etihad Towers. The deck was on the 74th floor. We were able to see a most magnificent sunset while enjoying tea and cake with gold flakes!
















Day 5:

We took on Ferrari World. Ferrari World is 1 of the many amusement parks in the UAE. Ferrari World is home to the fastest rollercoaster, IN THE WORLD! It's top speed is 250 kilometers per hour. That is like 155 miles per hour! See our VLOG below.


Day 6: 

Tamara came to school with me today. My boys were trying to show their manhood so for lack of better words, let's say it was a very interesting and eventful day. After school we visited the Emirates Palace and had our own photo shoot. After Emirates Palace we hopped on the Big Bus which took us around the city and showed us all of the major sights in Abu Dhabi AND it told us information about each place. I would recommend riding the Big Bus to anyone. I would also do it again in any city that I visit.












Day 7:

Tamara had not seen Black Panther so she and I went to see it in 4DX. 4DX is 3D+the seats move, water shoots out, smells that are in the movie are real, and the lights flash. Just think of an indoor amusement park with extra added perks for all senses. It was great!

Tamara had never been in a taxi so we hopped in a taxi and went to Al Wahda Mall and had our favorite Red Lobster Lava Cookies. I remember taking her to Red Lobster for cookies 1 day after school. It was great just spending time and laughing together. After we ate we hopped in another taxi and headed back to my place. I bet you're wondering why we were riding in taxis when I have a car. Well, if you must know...😁😁😁 Mike wanted to go to a lecture at NYU Abu Dhabi and I'm all for self education so he drove there and Tamara and I were chauffeured. Once we got to my place we got ready for Ladies Night. Mike met us there and we went to Galleria Mall where Loca is located. Ladies Night in Abu Dhabi is amazing. Most restaurants offer free drinks for ladies on Ladies Night! Yep, FREE! So, we took full advantage since this was her last night with us! We had a great time!





After we ate, drank, and laughed it was time for us to get Tamara to the airport so she could catch her flight home. 

I was so happy she came and so proud she took the journey alone! She is becoming such a wonderful young woman and I am totally honored she chose me to be her mentor. I look forward to us traveling together in the very near future!

And to all of you who want to come to Abu Dhabi, Come On and we'll have so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment