Monday, February 20, 2017

ADEC Interview

The day I've been waiting on for the last month was here, February 14, 2017. I researched all of the interview questions Google had to offer. I reviewed the dress code over and over and had decided to make my own blazer and skirt. (Did I mention that I sew? #UniqueSews - Ok Shamless plug...)I finished them off at 1:54am on February 14, 2017 and I had planned to run to the bed and quickly go to sleep.

I woke up early enough to shower, get dressed, and pack a bag of snacks and water that I would not even eat while I waited for my turn to interview.

Once I arrived at the Embassy Suites in Concord and just like my Seek Teachers Recruiter had told me all of the teacher candidates from all of the Recruiting Agencies went into a room where we were briefed on the Abu Dhabi Educational Council (ADEC) policies. From there we were then herded into a different area where we waited to be called.

I sat at my table and talked and laughed with other candidates. Some of the other candidates at my table and I connected on Facebook because we realized that we could very well be on this adventure together. We also tossed around questions and created "the best" answers that we could. One by one the other candidates from my table were called and I remained at the table trying to calm my nerves.

Finally...finally...my name was called. I waited outside the interview room and then my recruiter introduced me to the panel and I sat down and it began. Staring at me through a computer screen was a man and a woman. My heart was beating so fast. What would they ask? Would I know the answer? Do they have heavy accents? Then one of them spoke, an African American man with no accent, and said, "Hey, Janelle. We're a little out of order so we're going to take a look at your documents." I said, "Sure, take your time." All the while thinking whew give me a few more minutes to get myself and my thoughts together. And then it began. He said, "We're going to ask you some questions. We hope our technology continues to work correctly." The following are the questions I was asked.
  • Are you flexible?
  • Why do you want to move to the UAE?
  • How would you teach writing?
  • What would your Middle School Classroom look like? What are students doing? What is the teacher doing?
  • What have you gone to learn and brought back to your classroom? How did it go?
  • If your Head of Department did not know their job description or micromanaged you how would you respond?
I honestly think the interview went well. Once I finished the interview, I went to find my recruiter and he told me about next steps. He told me that another country interviewed yesterday and they all found out today if they received jobs or not. So, more waiting. If nothing else this experience has taught me patience and I'm absolutely okay with that.

So remember to Be Uniquely You and in the words of my Birthday Twin and BFF (in my mind) Ellen DeGeneres "Be Kind to one another."

See you after the offer!


No comments:

Post a Comment