Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Now What?

In the last post, I talked about how I was so excited that I got an offer letter. What I didn't say in all of my excitement was how the years of experience that was reflected on the offer letter was only 6 years. If you recall, in the 1st post (click here to read the 1st post), that I said I had been in education for 9 years. So, I was missing 3 years from my experience and if you know anything about education, experience, and salary you know they are all tied together. So, less years means less money. Now, the money I'm being offered is definitely more than what I'm currently making but I wanted to be paid for all of my years in the trenches.

I reached out to my recruiter and told him my experience was wrong. He immediately responded and told me that I'd needed to send my license from 2008 to get credit for those missing 3 years. I went to where I thought my documents would be but that initial license was not there. I began to panic and then I thought about options. I sent an email to the North Carolina Department of Instruction but decided to give them a call for a quicker answer. The lady I talked to said they don't keep licenses that long ago in their archives. I wanted to say, "Ma'am 2008 is only 9 years ago why are you using words like archives." I didn't say that but took her advice to call my district licensure department. I called them and they said the same thing. So, now what? Do I sign and take the 6 years with a little bit lower pay or do I try to find a way to get credit for all 9 years?

My answer...I try to find another way.

I went on the North Carolina Department of Instruction website, logged in, and sent my recruiter a screenshot of the log that showed when my license was first issued. He worked his recruiter magic and not only did he get my experience added he got my monthly salary increased even more than the amount he quoted me on our initial call.

Needless to say as soon as that offer letter hit my email, I hit print, signed it, and scanned it right back to him with no hesitation.

The next step is authenticating documents. That should be a doozy...😁

So as always Be Uniquely You and remember to Be Kind to One Another!

No comments:

Post a Comment